The Invisible Killer in Your Home
Did you know there is an invisible killer that takes as its victims hundreds of Americans every year and injures thousands more? It sneaks into your home, sometimes at night, and quietly does its job until you either feel so sick you go to the ER or you simply never awaken. This may sound scary and depressing, but the reality is that carbon monoxide poisoning takes far too many lives, especially the young and elderly. The good news is, though, that you can easily take measures to prevent yourself from becoming a victim and to alert you when it is trying to take over your home.
Invest in a Quality Detector
It is recommended that you purchase a detector designed specifically for carbon monoxide. Anything serving more than one purpose, such as a combo smoke/CO detector, begins to loose quality once it starts trying to multitask. Place a unit on your lower level where your furnace, water heater, etc. are located. You should also place one near every bedroom, as oftentimes it is during your sleep that you are most vulnerable to a fatality from CO poisoning. The safety of your family is not the time to skimp.
Know the Warning Signs
Symptoms of CO poisoning will hit different people in different ways, but unborn babies, infants, young children, and elderly are particularly at risk for severe or fatal injuries. Some alarming symptoms are headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and confusion. Obviously, unconsciousness and chest pains are more significant symptoms that should always be treated immediately with medical attention. What makes it difficult to clearly diagnose right away is that these symptoms can be attributed to a myriad of other causes, a perfect example of why a detector is so important. If you have had a recent carbon monoxide alarm in your home and you begin to experience any of these signs, then tell your doctor that you may be suffering from CO poisoning so he can begin treating you immediately – which may just save your life.
Inspect and Maintain Home Appliances
For anything in your home running off gas, coal, or oil, you must maintain regular inspections to ensure there are no leaks with potential to fill your home with carbon monoxide fumes. Never burn charcoal or use a gas grill indoors, and pay careful attention to keep your chimney clean. Additionally, never run your car in your garage with the doors closed. You’ve seen in the movies where people have done this, and the result is real – it will kill you. For you tailgaters out there, you may have never thought about this; but if you leave your car running with only the tailgate up, the exhaust fumes may blow back in and fill up your car with poisonous gases.
You can never put a price on the safety of those you love, so educate yourself on CO poisoning and purchase a detector right away. If you’d like to discuss options for integrating your home security system with your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, please give us a call today!